almond milk, low calorie, simple…ice cream!
There are plenty of almond milk ice cream recipes floating around, so I can’t really take credit for this, but I wanted to share it because it’s SO good and completely guiltless!
Some nights you just want some damn ice cream and this is absolutely perfect to cure your craving, especially if you’re watching your waistline! This ice cream has only 30 calories and makes a large serving…one serving of normal ice cream is 1/4 cup…PLEASE and contains 200-300 calories, WOAH.
This ice cream is so simple and is a great snack before bedtime because it is just a couple grams of fat! So, it won’t spike your blood sugar and it will keep you full 🙂
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (make sure it does not contain carrageenan* OR make your own!)
- extracts of your choice
- ice cube trays
- optional: guar gum or xantham gum for thickening and giving it a more ice cream like texture
- Mix together 1 cup almond milk with a pinch of salt, stevia to taste, and your extract choices…I love to use a dropperful of toffee stevia, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon butter extract!
- Next, place this mixture in your ice cube trays and freeze
- Once your ice cubes are frozen… yes you do have to think ahead a little…blend them with 1/4 cup almond milk! If you want it to have a more ice cream like texture you would now add 1/4 teaspoon guar gum and 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum! I only have one of these so I just add 1/2 teaspoon!
I love this recipe because you can also add protein powder if you need something a little more filling and with more protein, or you can eat it as is! I am obsessed with this cookie dough recipe from stuft mama that is used to top the ice cream with…yummy
Recipe for cookie dough:
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons or a dropperful of stevia
- 2 tbsps almond milk
- Simply mix together all of the ingredients and set in the fridge. It should get all crumbly!!
**Carrageenan is simply an extract from a seaweed, which seems like a good thing, right? Unfortunately, studies are showing that carrageenan may be linked to inflammation, gut irritation, and even cancer. Luckily, making almond milk is SO simple…it just separate without the carrageenan. There are also brands that do carry almond milk without the carrageenan, so just check your labels:)!